Watch Sarah move from goals to boss! Sarah is an exceptionally beautiful lady, with popping melanin skin and perfectly laid hair. Sarah had no doubts she was industrious, resourceful and would achieve all the big dreams she had on her ‘goal book’ which she titled ‘Small girl, Big dreams’; – which should however pass for just a checklist☹️.
Sarah was confident because she never ran out of ideas to make it in life – sustain a flourishing business, drive a Bentley, travel around the world, live the Baby girl dream life. Aawwnnn. And truly, if you had come in contact with Sarah, you would know instantly that she wasn’t going to end up small. she is smart, intelligent, passionate and driven.
But Sarah had a huge problem that often made her downcast and on the verge of dropping all her big dream ideas: She could not clearly define where she was headed because her ideas were so many she couldn’t keep up nor stay consistent. In her words: “Some days I’m so full of energy, I can see a clear vision of my tomorrow; other days I’m down full of doubts, not sure I can keep up at all.”
But when Sarah decided to take the reins of her destiny and future, she learnt exactly what and all she had to do – needed to do – to move from goals to boss.
First, Sarah needed to set her goals right. “But I have my goals”, she cried as she drew a copy of her ‘Small girl, big dreams’ ‘checklist’.
- I will open a giant hair salon.
- I will install a Barbershop next door.
- I will start importing hair kits and accessories to sell.
- I will expand into skin care.
- I will establish the biggest and most popular organic skin care brand in Africa.
- I’ll have a minimum of 100 people working for me soon.
- Then I’ll start making seven figures and take holidays twice a year!
Hahaha, Sarah didn’t come to play! But unfortunately, she didn’t bring the required armour😭. You may be like Sarah right now, mistaking a checklist for a set goal. No honey. That’s no way to move from goals to boss! The first step to take in becoming a boss is to set your goals right.
1. Set Your Goals Right.
What is a goal?
A goal is simply the object of a person’s ambition or effort; aims or desired results. It is the end towards which efforts are directed. They are achievable outcomes that are typically broad and long-term. The importance of setting goals can never be over-emphasized. Typically, you can’t become boss without goals first.
Importance of setting goals.
1. Setting goals helps trigger new behaviours, guides your focus and sustain the momentum in life. If you don’t have a properly set goal, you will have no drive to adopt life-changing habits
2. Setting goals allows one to measure his/her progress because you have an endpoint or benchmark to compare with. It helps promote a sense of mastery because in the end you can’t improve on something you don’t properly manage or work on.
3. Setting goals keeps you locked in and undistracted; it helps you give yourself mental boundaries. When you have an Endpoint/benchmark, you have reason to stay away from certain distractions and focus on your goal.
4. Setting goals helps you overcome procrastination and not waste precious time. When you set a goal for yourself, you make yourself accountable to finish the task. This is not the same when you do things on a whim and it does not matter whether you complete them or not.
5. Setting goals fuels you with motivation.
The root of all the motivation and inspiration you have ever felt in your entire life are goals. Goals provide a foundation for your drive. Having a goal gives you a concrete endpoint to aim for and get excited about. It gives you something to put 100% of your effort into and this inspires motivation.
Certainly, there are rewards for setting goals properly; below are some of them.
Rewards or benefits of effective goal setting.
1. Provides direction. You can finally envision or visualize your future, which is paramount to your success because what you can’t see, you can’t achieve.
2. Clarity in decision-making. You gain clearer focus on what’s important. You find yourself screaming “how didn’t I see this before!?”
3. Gives you control of your future. You would have the barest minimum of unwanted surprises as your future unfolds, as you move from goals to boss.
4. Gives you a sense of purpose in life. Having a purpose gives you confidence, inner strength and vigour to stay alive and live through each day with motivation and anticipation for what’s to come.
5. Gives you a sense of personal satisfaction. You feel happy with yourself for not just existing, but living and contributing your quota to the rest of the world.
However, despite all there is to gain, people very often fail in setting goals the right way and so they do not achieve these goals. It’s easy to google ‘how to set goals’ and get a page full of results, most popular being SMART goals. But many of these fail to address the underlying reasons most people do not achieve the goals they set.
You may have set goals in the past but it’s just lying somewhere in the long discarded trash, or in the drawer of non-useful items. It’s not just you honey, may people have suffered same fate. There are several reasons you did not achieve your set goals in the past.
9 Reasons people do not achieve their goals.
1. Fear of failure:
People can be so afraid they will fail that they don’t even bother trying. So you’re unable to imagine yourself successful, buy you know deep down that this is what you want to do. You need to up and set those goals RIGHT!
2. Fear of success:
Just as one can fear failure, one can fear success too. It may be that you cower from becoming too successful. You fear having the spotlight over your head. You fear being vulnerable to the public. You really just want a private, small life, but what you feel driven to achieve would be out you out there so keep stalling. Maybe your significant other will rain down brimstones if you get too successful so you put off your goals. No honey. You need to up and set those goals RIGHT!
3. Lack of understanding about the goal-setting process:
Sarah wrongly believed seeing a goal was akin to writing a checklist or a wishlist. Some people erroneously believe that goal setting simply means putting a task on paper, setting a date for completion, marking of checkpoints as they occur and then starting all over again; and such mentality hinders people from success because goal-setting isn’t a one-time thing that you scratch off a list. Setting your goals RIGHT! ensures you have the right attitude towards your goals.
4. Inactivity and Lack of commitment to the goal.
Not having the right attitude towards your goal results in lack of commitment hence taking no actions. This is why it’s not enough to just set SMART goals; you need to employ certain pertinent principles to ensure you set goals that you will commit to and hence achieve. You have to set your goals RIGHT!
5. Analysis paralysis:
You’re filled with questions and doubts paralyze you. You believe you can’t start on a goal until you have all the answers to every “what if” scenario. So you just keep playing and replaying every form of surprise or risk or unwanted character that could attack and change the course of your plans. You never work on your goal eventually.
6. Lack of a real destination:
As I mentioned earlier, what you can’t visualize, you can’t achieve. Many people begin setting a goal without a solid destination of what they want to achieve so they never really see themselves where they want to be. If you don’t have a destination in mind, then you’ll never know which road to take to get there. Set your goals RIGHT!
7. Having too many goals:
You have too many goals and not enough Focus. There’s only one you, multitasking is a major myth. If your goal is not specific, you’ll keep running around in circles, trudging a lot of things along and you will burn out. Set your goals RIGHT!
8. Feeling unworthy of becoming a boss:
Some people don’t believe they deserve a life of elevation, a life where they are in control of what happens. You may not believe you’re worthy of attaining this goal, so you’re setting your goals albeit reluctantly as you’ve already concluded that you’re undeserving of it. If you can’t believe in yourself, you can’t achieve your goals so you can’t boss your life.
9. Lack of motivation to change:
You are satisfied with what you have and where you are in life and as such, don’t explore what else is available or what greater things you could achieve. You could say “But I’m not ambitious and it’s not a bad thing!” Yes you’re right. You’re not a lesser human for not being ambitious. But Goal-Setting is not only for the ambitious. You should set goals in any area of your life that needs tending to, and since no one is perfect, it means there’s always room for improvement. You can set financial goals, spiritual goals, body goals, career goals, relationship goals, health goals, essentially any part of your being deserves a great goal. So feel free to take them one at a time and set those goals RIGHT!
Now you can see that you need not just know how to set goals, but also how to overcome your reasons for failing at your goals, only then can you have the right foundation to become boss. Fortunately you can get an all-inclusive guide to do this:
Set your goals RIGHT! 👉 GOAL-SETTING GUIDE: 12 GROUND PRINCIPLES OF SETTING ACHIEVABLE GOALS for only a token.
Once Sarah was able to get her goals rightly set, she was ready for the second step to move from goals to boss.
2. Form new and productive habits.
Learning to form new, productive habits aided Sarah smash her goals and clear her checklist tick-tick-tick. Her new productive habits ensured she never procrastinated her important and priority tasks and assignments. This way she was able to keep herself accountable to her daily goals.
You can do this just like Sarah, by getting a copy of YOUR COMPLETE PROCRASTINATION GUIDE & SOLUTIONS, to learn exactly how to never end a day without achieving a purpose. Follow the mapped out steps from over 30 years of research by world-renowned Psychologists, to never waste a day, be fulfilled, happy and have even more time for lazy leisure.
Sarah was not doing badly, however, with time the unavoidable overwhelm that comes with working solo came upon her and she started slacking every now and then. She realized the trying moment that shakes consistency had caught up with her; and having learnt that CONSISTENCY is key to success – showing up for your goals daily, both when you don’t want to and when you wish you didn’t have to; it was time for her to take her accountability seriously.
Therefore, Sarah took the final step to move from goals to boss:
3. Sign up with an Accountability team.
What is Accountability?
Accountability means being willing and obligated to take responsibility for your actions. It also entails taking ownership of the choices that lead to your actions.
Why is Accountability so important?
Accountability eliminates the time and effort you spend on distracting activities and other unproductive behaviours. When we make people accountable for their actions, we’re effectively teaching them to value their work. Accountability is vital for producing accurate and efficient work. Essentially, accountability is paramount to achieving success with your goals.
Here at Accountability with Ella, our amazing accountability network puts you and your goals at the centre of our achievement. We ensure your goals and expectations are as clear and as achievable as possible, and we document your progress every step of the way. When you make us your Accountability Partner, we uphold our own end of the deal and ensure you succeed at your clearly set goals.
Be like Sarah and stay at the top of your game. You too can be a boss… but you must first tow the line of a boss!